KEY PURPOSE OF JOB
Our head office in Somerset West has a permanent position for a principal mechanical design engineer to take responsibility for new electro-mechanical product design, development and verification – on various projects and while working within a multidisciplinary team.
Design and develop electronics-based products for use in spacecrafts and related systems, together with their associated design documentation, test & qualification procedures, jigs and calibration systems:
• Act as the Technical Lead during the development phase and as the Design Authority during the life cycle of the system/product
• Attend requirements and proposal discussions with clients (external or internal), when required.
• Derive technical specifications for system requirements based on market and/or customer needs.
• Analyse and decompose the system’s mission requirements into mechanical, hardware and software requirements
• Research, develop and test theoretical and conceptual designs.
• Work closely with the Project Manager to plan and manage the integration, qualification and testing activities
• Simulate/test the design at various levels, ensuring that the product will work with adequate design margins and will perform reliably and consistently in specified operation environments
• Document and review all system aspects during the design phases.
• Interact with sub-contractors and support the resolution of manufacturing issues.
• Support the Industrialisation team with the development of production equipment and documentation
• Mentor and guide less experienced engineers
Other ad-hoc duties as required by company.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
• B.Sc/B.Eng/B.Tech degree (or equivalent) in Mechanical Engineering from a recognized institution.
Experience (preferable within aerospace, automotive or defence industry):
• Mechanical design of new product development (>3 years)
• High-reliability electronic/electro-mechanic product design and realisation (>7 years)
• Experience with 3D CAD software and design principles (preferably SOLIDWORKS)
• Experience with environmental product qualification
• Experience with ‘design for manufacturing’ and understanding of manufacturing processes, equipment, etc.
Additional knowledge areas that would strengthen the application:
• Product development for space missions
• Experience with mechanical simulation packages (preferably SOLIDWORKS and ANSYS)
• Experience with Finite Element Modelling and Analysis
• Experience with modal, random vibration and response dynamics analysis
• Experience with design for rotating systems, including bearing design, rotor dynamics, micro-vibration and balancing
• Experience with product lifecycle management/configuration control. (Experience with Solidworks PDM preferable)
• Degree in Space Systems Engineering (optimal) or Space Engineering background
• Master’s Degree
• Project Management (MSProject or other)
• Familiarity/experience designing, developing, and supporting satellite actuator and/or sensor subsystems (reaction wheel, sun sensor, magnetometer, etc.)
• Experience working with Optical/Optomechanical systems
• Experience working with/to recognized space industry standards (ECSS, NASA, etc.)
COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
• Positive self-motivated, self-starter attitude
• Innovative – thinking ‘outside the box’
• Team player
• Good written and oral communication skills
• Customer focused
• Able to persuade and influence others
• Ability to bounce back
• Flexible and able to multi-task, can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment
• Excellent time management
• Ability to self-manage and set priorities
If you meet the requirements of this vacancy, please send your cv to:
Lm@newspacesystems.com OR contact us on +27 (0) 21 300 0160