We are breaking the boundaries and pushing our commitment to the EVTOL world by changing the way the world travels. Our mission is powered by pioneers and progress is our prerogative.
Here at Vertical, we are developing the UK’s first fully electric, vertical take-off and landing aircraft (eVTOL), the VX4. With zero-operating emissions. Vertical is transforming the way people travel by offering a faster, safer, and greener way to move.
More about the team you will be joining as a Senior Thermodynamics Engineer
The collaborative efforts of our Aerodynamics, Acoustics, and Thermodynamics team lie at the heart of our eVTOL company's innovation. This multidisciplinary team is dedicated to shaping the future of urban air mobility by harnessing expertise across three critical domains.
The Aerodynamics specialists meticulously craft the aircraft's external form to optimize lift, drag, and stability, ensuring efficient and agile flight characteristics while adhering to stringent safety standards.
Simultaneously, the Acoustics experts design and refine our eVTOLs to operate with the utmost acoustic consideration, minimizing noise emissions and promoting community acceptance.
Complementing these efforts, the Thermodynamics engineers meticulously orchestrate the thermal management systems, ensuring that the aircraft's vital components remain within optimal operating ranges while optimizing energy efficiency. Together, these teams form a triad of ingenuity, contributing to the development of high-performance, sustainable, and community-friendly eVTOL aircraft that are poised to transform urban transportation.
My Impact as a Senior Thermodynamics Engineer
As our eVTOL company pioneers the future of urban air mobility, the Senior Thermodynamics Engineer will play a pivotal role in ensuring the seamless integration of thermal systems that are fundamental to the performance, safety, and reliability of our aircraft. With the unique challenges posed by electric propulsion, battery storage, and the diverse operating environments of urban air travel, the Senior Thermodynamics Engineer will spearhead the design, analysis, and optimization of intricate thermal solutions.
These solutions will not only safeguard critical components against thermal stress but also enhance energy efficiency, extend component lifetimes, and foster a comfortable passenger experience. This role is the linchpin between innovative engineering and real-world operation, providing the expertise needed to create eVTOLs that can reliably navigate the skies while setting new standards for sustainable urban transportation.
What success will look like for the Senior Thermodynamics Engineer
- Creation of thermodynamic and aerodynamic 1D and CFD models to aide in said design sizing, and subsequently verify and validate their cooling performance through system level and aircraft level testing.
- Adequate competency and experience commensurate with holding Compliance Verification Engineer (CVE) status, particularly DO-160 and other DOA related processes.
- Develop technical requirements, and planning / executing analyses in support of validation and verification exercises including aircraft thermal zoning, environmental conditions (altitude, ambient temperature, radiation, rain susceptibility, icing, etc.) and the testing / measurement of such things under testing conditions.
- Integrating thermal activities across the vehicle through a thorough understanding of interfaces between cooling structure and the rest of the aircraft design components.
- Conducting a wide variety of analyses in the field to support colleagues, suppliers and partner organisations to deliver on objectives.
- Generation of geometric (CAD) cooling / heating designs which result in a thermally optimised vehicle design.
- Researching and preparing for additional environmental protection analysis; for example, fire protection, icing protection, altitude, temperature limitations, etc.
Everything sounds very interesting but how do I know this is the role for me?
We are looking for people that will have the following qualifications and experiences:
- Master's or Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or a related field, with a strong focus on thermodynamics and heat transfer.
- Proven track record of at least 7 years in the field of thermodynamics, preferably in aircraft or aerospace systems.
- In-depth expertise in thermal management systems, heat exchangers, and fluid dynamics.
- Proficiency in using software for thermal analysis, such as AMESIM, Flowmaster, ANSYS Fluent, as well as experience with MATLAB and Simulink.
- Strong understanding of electric propulsion systems and their thermal implications.
- Previous work with electric aircraft or eVTOLs is a significant advantage.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, with the ability to tackle complex thermal challenges in innovative ways.
- Effective communication skills, with the ability to collaborate across disciplines and present technical information clearly to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Leadership experience, mentoring skills, and a desire to contribute to the growth and development of junior engineers.
- A passion for sustainable transportation and urban air mobility.
Why work with us?
For us, it is important that people feel valued for the impact they have and are able to thrive and experience the career journey of a lifetime. Our overall approach to reward seeks to offer competitive packages that attract the diverse and talented people we need to achieve our ambitious objectives.
Our Ways of Working
In the UK we have two offices and a Battery facility in Bristol, an office in London and a site in Kemble with well stocked free kitchen provisions including hot drinks, fruit and breakfasts every weekday. Our typical full time working week is 37.5 hours. We recognise the world of work is rapidly evolving and that flexibility is important for us all to thrive. We want to support all employees to deliver their roles to the best possible standard by offering the right level of flexibility between our key sites and home where suitable for your role and its deliverables and our company goals. Typically, this is agreed with your team and people leader, ensuring there are times for collaboration and other activity on site and the ability to work more remotely from home as appropriate.
Our Vertical Additional Benefits
- ‘Primary Benefits’ are available as standard, 5% Pension Match, 2 x Salary Life Insurance, Income Protection, 26 days + bank holiday and the opportunity for extra 5 days when getting married or forming a civil partnership
- ‘Flex Fund Benefits’ are benefits that don’t come as standard, but you can ‘pay’ for using a company provided ‘Flex Fund’ (equal to 4% of salary) Private Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, EV Car Subscription, Home EV Charger, Holiday Buy, Pension Top Up, and many more
- ‘Payroll benefits’ Workplace ISA, Commuter Loan, Interest Free Technology Loans
- ‘Extra benefits’ are the many benefits we offer that can be accessed through our rewards platform, incl. Discounted Shopping Scheme, Eye Care Benefits, Free Mortgage Advice, Financial and Comprehensive Wellness Benefits
- Eligibility to participate in our employee long-term-incentive plan
Do you like the look of this opportunity but not sure if you meet all the criteria we’ve outlined?
Here at Vertical, we are working to create an environment of growth, diversity and opportunities for people to take on challenges and push the status quo. We understand some people may not apply to jobs unless they tick every box. If you're excited about joining us and think you have much of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure... we'd love to hear from you.
This is an on-going advert and interviews will be held on an ad-hoc basis until sufficient applications have been received.