At Insitu, a Boeing company, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. You can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are core values. We’re committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that’s welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
Insitu is seeking an experienced Embedded Firmware Engineer, responsible for the following:
- Evangelizing advanced software and embedded firmware development and test practices
- Be responsible for assuring the delivery of high quality software and embedded firmware products
- Represent software engineering internally and externally and interact with senior personnel on key technical matters
- Mentor other software engineers and advise software management
- Reviews hardware and software systems designs, specifications, and plans against contractual or process requirements.
- Evaluates functional requirements and identifies implementation risks. Develops and documents risk mitigation actions.
- Evaluates project quality goals/expectations and identifies quality standards for life-cycle, documentation, development, testing, and maintenance.
- Develops embedded software test code, fixtures, and scripts
- Defines product quality measures
- Plans test schedules or strategies in accordance with project scope or delivery dates.
- Designs test plans, scenarios, automated scripts, and test procedures.
- Drives implementation, executes regressions, analyzes pass rates, maintains existing test suites, expands test coverage, provides pre/post production support, and works closely with product, business & development teams on a daily basis.
- Proposes corrective and preventative actions plans.
- Verifies embedded software system requirements, traceability, and testability. Identifies, analyzes, and documents program function and output.
- Identifies non-conformances and issues corrective action. Verifies effectiveness of corrective action plans.
- Evaluates test execution against planned activities and retests as required. Analyzes test activities and results against test plans, project objectives and system activities. Monitors issue resolution efforts and tracks progress.
- Performs final reconciliation against products and prepares formal review documentation.
- 3+ years performing as an embedded firmware Engineer in design, development, and testing of embedded products.
- Low-level C
- Bitwise logic
- Unit testing on a development board
- Ability to create hardware interfaces to allow for repeatable tests against units
- Bus standards - CAN, Ethernet, SPI, I2C
- 3+ years of CPLD / FPGA experience to include the following:
- JTAG Experience
- Functional Simulation (desired)
- Applying Timing Constraints
- Collaborating with Board-level Designers
- Electronics Knowledge / Circuits Analysis
- 3+ years of Boardlayer development experience
- Object Oriented Programming
- 3+ years of OS-Level development experience:
- Kernel Manipulation Experience
- Familiarity with Linux
- Python or similar scripting languages
- Bash Knowledge
- Driver Development and Test Experience
- Strong knowledge of software test methodologies, tools and processes
- Hands-on experience with automated testing tools and development of automated test code
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Strong problem-solving abilities, careful attention to detail, open to taking direction and adapting to course corrections
- Excellent modeling, software, and debugging skills
- Comfortable developing/writing specs and verifying functionality
- Experienced with creating test plans and processes for verifying third party systems and firmware
- Familiar with various test frameworks and comfortable making recommendations, developing integrations, developing tooling
- Verilog / VHDL
- Systemd Knowledge
- Networking Stack Knowledge
- OSI Model
- Wireshark / Network Capture
- Knowledge of Unmanned Air Vehicle Systems (UAS) to include air vehicle, ground segments (e.g., ground stations and mission plans) and supportability.
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process
- Exposure to the Atlassian tool set – bitbucket, Jira, Confluence etc.
- Aerospace product development and test experience through release.
- Experience with Aviation or Safety-critical system design standards
- AS9100 knowledge and hands-on experience
- Experience testing safety-critical software to DO-178 or similar standards.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
This job is limited to employees who, in the performance of their assigned work, regularly apply embedded firmware engineering disciplines to the research, design, development, test, and evaluation of company products, facilities, or manufacturing processes and have a minimum of a Bachelor's degree of Science from an accredited course of study in Engineering (ex: BSME, BSEE, BSCE), computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry.
Typical experience: 2-4 years in an engineering classification with a Bachelor's degree or 0-1 years of experience in an engineering classification with a Master's degree.
At Insitu, we strive to deliver a Total Rewards package that will attract, engage and retain the top talent. Elements of the Total Rewards package include competitive base pay and variable compensation opportunities.
Insitu also provides eligible employees with an opportunity to enroll in a variety of benefit programs, generally including health insurance, flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts, retirement savings plans, life and disability programs and a number of programs that provide for both paid and unpaid time away from work.
The specific programs and options available to any given employee may vary depending on eligibility factors such as geographic location, date of hire.
Please note that the salary information show below is a general guideline only. Salaries are based upon candidate experience, qualifications and work location.
Compensation Range: -EEO Statement
Equal Employment Opportunity: Insitu’s policy on equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or veteran status. This policy applies to recruiting, hiring, transfers, promotions, terminations, compensation and benefits and also states that retaliation against any employee who files a complaint regarding possible violations of this policy will not be tolerated. All information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.