X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
Project Taara is focused on delivering high-throughput and long-range connectivity via free-space optical communication (FSOC) links that use light (eye-safe lasers) propagating between two terminals to wirelessly transmit high speed data. The Taara Project is seeking a Senior Photonics Design Engineer working on next generation photonics integrated circuit design and layout as part of the R&D team developing cutting-edge wireless optical communication systems.
About the Role:
The successful candidate is responsible for photonics integrated circuit design and layout. The role requires deep knowledge in photonics integrated circuit design, simulation, optimization and testing. The position seeks highly-motivated individuals who thrive in ambiguity and enjoy working in a small dynamic team environment, with a passion for solving challenging problems that can lead to high-impact advances in technology.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Develop, in collaboration with others, new photonics components, their large-scale integration into complex photonics circuits, and their integration with microelectronics
- Manage complexity and optimize large-scale layouts in advanced wafer platforms
- Contribute to system-level optimization, packaging and assembly strategy
- Contribute to managing key fabrication, test, and packaging partners for manufacturing of complex photonics assemblies integrated with electronics and thermal management
- Be motivated by making the world a better place through technology, and wanting to be part of a team that makes this happen
What you should have:
- M.S. in Silicon Photonics, Electrical Engineering or related field
- Five (5) or more years relevant industry experience of photonics integrated circuit design
- Experience with Si photonics simulation software (Lumerical or equivalent)
- Experience with optimization of photonics components towards manufacturability
- Experience working with wafer foundries, including product design kits, design rule checks, and tape-outs procedures
- Experience with photonics and semiconductor layout tools (GDSfactory, Cadence Virtuoso, or equivalent)
It would be great if you also had these:
- Ph.D. in Silicon Photonics
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (writing strategy docs, writing and delivering presentations), can work with senior external partners with ease
- Hands-on experience in advancing product from prototype to final production stage
- Experience with RF design and corresponding RF modeling tools (HFSS or equivalent)
- Experience with photonics packaging and optical propagation tools (Zemax or equivalent)
- Experience with III-V design and integration with Si photonics
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $141,000 - $219,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.