This position exists to support the growth of the Bal Seal Engineering (BSE) through the creation, refinement, and maintenance of BSE custom products (seals, springs, and contacts). This position has general knowledge of our customers' technical needs and how our products can meet their basic requirements.
This position is responsible for problem solving, process development, evaluating customer requirements and recommending changes to improve product and process performance.
This position is responsible for having intimate understanding of customers applications and provide regular communication between Sales, New Product Development Engineering, and Operations to ensure the design, development and testing of all aspects of our components, including new and existing products, meet the customer application requirements.
This position is responsible for applying standard application and design requirements to new opportunities.
Candidates should have excellent communication skills, good problem-solving capabilities, and the ability to work well with the Organization as a whole.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish a close working relationship with Sales team to improve technical support for External and Internal customers either in-person or virtually.
- Communicate with customers to identify new business opportunities and clarify customers’ technical requirements.
- Review designs for applicability, form, fit and function to a customer’s application.
- Execute design activity in accordance with established design policies and procedures.
- Model and create drawings using 3D CAD (SolidWorks) for product components.
- Supply full details necessary in handoff of proposed designs to Manufacturing.
- Evaluate industry trends for new and existing product technical requirements.
- Provide a “bridge” between Sales and New Product/Opportunity initiatives, Engineering Segments and Operations.
- Understand of the end use application and related BSE value proposition.
- Work with cross functional teams to identify custom designs, materials and test requirements that allow consistent performance for meeting customer and industry expectations with high quality solutions.
- Update Design Rules per identified proven industry standards solutions sets.
- Perform Failure Analysis to determine needs for BSE product improvements or customer end improvements for the application.
- Support development and maintenance of Applications Engineering Process documentation, Work Instructions and Tools.
- Support Continuous Improvement, 6-Sigma and Design for Manufacturing and Assembly (DFMA) activities.
- Support Configuration Management with Change Orders (ECO, EO).
- Provide hands-on support of Prototype to ensure product meets application needs and documentation is ready movement towards Production.
- Perform miscellaneous and non-standard duties as required. Such duties are diversified in nature and may be changed from time to time to suit the needs of the company.
- Up to 20% travel required to BSE facilities and External Customers.
- BSME or equivalent technical degree. Other technical qualifications and/or a demonstrated minimum of 7 years' experience in a similar technical environment may be considered.
- Experience working in a supplier-based manufacturing environment preferred.
- Experience with a variety of manufacturing techniques and materials.
- Experience working with Applications that utilize Seals and/or Conductive Connector.
- Experience working with Continuous Improvement, Lean initiatives, developing and implementing Processes.
- Experience utilizing Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) software and Enterprise Resource Planning tools (ERP).
- Strong computer skills and analytical skills.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment.
- Ability to work with external customers and handle difficult situations.
- Proficient with utilization of Microsoft Office tools and CAD Software (SolidWorks).
- Proficient with Engineering and Manufacturing 3-D model and drawing best practices.
- Working knowledge with Finite Element Analysis (FEA) tools and result interpretation.
- Well versed in Design for Manufacturability and Assembly (DFMA) best practices.
- Must be hands on and interface with manufacturing personnel as required.
- Initiative to identify and solve problems with little direction or assistance.
- Working knowledge and understanding of GD&T best practices, ASME Y14.5.
- This position is mainly sedentary; therefore, required to sit.
- Must be able to enter data into a computer by use of a keyboard and mouse and be able to sit for long periods at his/her desk as well as occasionally visit employees throughout the building to gather data and clarify information.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to walk.
- The work environment conditions are typical of a manufacturing environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the basic functions. The noise level in the work environment ranges from quiet to moderate, however, hearing protection may be required if employee enters high noise areas as a part of their normal job duties.
Kaman Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Minority/Female/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veteran and Affirmative Action Employer
Kaman Corporation considers for employment and hires qualified candidates without regard to age, race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, protected veteran or disability status or any factor prohibited by law. Kaman Corporation and all of its related companies fully endorse equal opportunity for all. Kaman provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures and/or process. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process. For more information, please click here for a notice that provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP).
Positions at Kaman require access to information or technology that is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). These laws limit access rights for non-US Persons or other unauthorized individuals. Therefore, applicants may be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship, U.S. Permanent Residence, or U.S. Immigration Status. All such inquiries are asked solely to comply with ITAR and EAR export licensing requirements.