About the job
Our Mechanical Hardware team is looking for an enthusiastic Composites Expert to help us with the day-to-day engineering of our new drone. Our team consists of engineers with expertise in the fields of mechanical engineering, FEM analyses, CFD analyses, surface modelling and prototyping, supervised by our team lead.
You must have a hands-on mentality and be able to communicate multidisciplinary with other teams such as embedded, software, systems engineering and manufacturing. Your engineering work will have direct impact on the design of the drone, since the design process consists of iterative design cycles, and due to the short communication lines with our producers and suppliers.
Your primary focus will be the composite design of our new drone (the Aera 4), but you also need to be flexible when you are asked to take on ad hoc assignments, such as landing gear or pitot design, or projects related to our previous drone designs (like the Aera 3). This makes working at Avy sometimes chaotic, but also a lot of fun.
- You have a degree in aerospace, mechanical engineering, or a related field;
- Experience with SolidWorks, both in solid as well as in surface modelling, and able to make technical drawings.
- Affinity with GD&T is a plus but not required. Experience with PDM software is a plus;
- Cover all aspects of Composite Design from clean sheet idea generation, tooling, detailed component design, assemblies, associated jigs and supporting documentation;
- Understanding the properties, possibilities and limitation of composite materials and their production techniques;
- Hands-on experience with composite production methods like hand layup and prepregs;
- Experience with lightweight drone / aircraft design is a plus;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- You are open, able to focus independently on your own work, but also willing to ask for help and help others;
- Ability to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team environment, demonstrating good interpersonal and teamwork skills;
- Good communication skills, down to earth, with a positive outlook and have a strong drive for improvement;
- Acquainted with different design methods and knowing the basics of 'design thinking' (DFM and DFA methodologies are a plus);
- Share Avy’s core values: radical honesty, boldness and doing good;
- Fluent (spoken and written) in English.
What we offer
Experience the excitement, chaos, freedom and rapid growth of a tech startup from within... it will be the ride of your life!
- Working for a company determined to have a positive impact on the future: contribute to medical delivery in Europe & Africa to save lives. You'll be telling the most interesting stories at birthday parties;
- Unlimited time off;
- A warm atmosphere with regular drinks and occasional celebrations;
- A work culture based on freedom, where we trust you as the expert on your topic to bring Avy to the next level. But also an environment where it's safe to make mistakes;
- An awesome office in Amsterdam with all the equipment to build our own drones, a maker space, a sauna, disco toilet and jungle toilet;
- A sunny rooftop terrace for meetings, social events or just taking a break;
- Daily delicious (and vegetarian) lunches.
Apply for the job
Do you want to join our team as our new Composites Engineer? We'd love to hear from you!
- You can expect a reply to your application in the week of the 2nd of October
- Starting date: as soon as possible (however, we prefer the right candidate over a quick start date)
- Available for 32-40 hours per week
- EU citizenship or an EU work permit is required for this post (Avy does not offer relocation support)
Acquisition for this vacancy is not appreciated.