Mission Critical … Join PDC and make a Difference
For more than 50 years, Power Device Corporation (PDC) has been recognized as a world leader in the design and manufacture of high-reliability Connectivity, Power, and Control solutions for the Aerospace, Defense, and Space industries. Our dedication to supplying quality products, on-time delivery, and superior support, has contributed to the success of our customers and the critical missions they serve.
To continue to meet our customer’s mission critical needs, PDC is seeking an Senior Electrical Engineer – Analog/Digital to join our respected and valued team.
In this role, you will be responsible for supporting the Business Unit Team in designing, maintaining, and validating firmware for PDC’s industry-leading portfolio of Power Distribution, Power Generation and Motor Control products. Your expertise will be vital in providing technical support to customers, developing new product ideas, supporting product roadmaps and working with the Business Unit Team and Engineering Teams in responding to customer proposals.
This role is 100% on-site in our Bohemia, NY office.
*We are not accepting applications from independent recruiters or agencies at this time for this role; should this change the posting will be updated to reflect submission information.
Job Qualifications - Education/Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering is required. Graduate degree desirable.
- Seven (7) to ten (10) years of experience in Analog and Digital Circuit design, which includes analog to digital conversion, processor/microcontroller, I/O communications and discrete I/Os.
- Experience in power electronics design, thermal analysis, electrical stress analysis, worst case analysis, FMEA analysis, tolerance analysis, aging analysis and EMI analysis.
- Experience with Power devices Mosfet, IGBT, SiC and GaN.
- Familiarity with MIL-STD-1275/704 and DO-160 DC and AC input power specifications, familiarity with DC/DC converters.
- Experienced in PWB layout techniques for determining current density requirements and voltage breakdown requirements in power distribution systems. Layout techniques for passing MIL-STD-461 and DO-160 EMI requirements.
- Familiarity with multiple communication protocols including CAN, RS232/422/485, SPI, JTAG, PCI, PCIe, 1G/10G Ethernet.
- Experience in space level radiation hardness, ionizing radiation, single event upset and total dose analysis for component selection
- Experience with CAD tools such as LT-Spice, P-Spice, OrCAD, Mozaix, Allegro and Pantheon are desirable
- Experience with Motor control simulation including Matlab Simulink or equivalent.
- Control theory and Matrix mathematics including Z domain transform for digital control.
- A/D conversion and sensor knowledge including LVDT, Resolvers and Encoders.
- Clark and Park transform theory
- Provide technical leadership to lead engineering projects/team through all phases of the product life cycle from requirements, conceptual development and detail design, verification through qualification, manufacturing transition and production support.
- Develop clearly written requirements and design specifications from a marketing or customer requirement document.
- Perform original and innovative analog and digital hardware design and distill large scale designs into architectural elements. Generate design reports and present findings to the team – e.g., at design reviews. Facilitate the design of products by coordinating engineering teams of varied technical disciplines through clearly documented design documents. Co-ordinate technical meetings and reviews with other groups.
- Develop creative approaches that favorably optimize complex design tradeoffs for various elements of a design such as product cost, performance, feature set, time to market, and technical risk.
- Conceive methods for achieving product requirements and specifications using appropriate circuit design, process, manufacturing and mechanical techniques. Anticipate possible difficulties and develop alternate methods.
- Perform thermal analysis, electrical stress analysis, worst case analysis, FMEA analysis, tolerance analysis, aging analysis, EMI analysis, simulations, and design verification to ensure that the designs meet the requirements of harsh environments for the applications.
- Develop plans, budgets, schedules, and identify resources required to develop products from market requirement through product release. Identify risk areas and develop contingency plans to eliminate or mitigate risk that could result in schedule delays or failure to meet specification or design plan requirements.
- Mentor, coach, and train engineers to facilitate their ability to progress to higher levels of technical and professional achievement.
- Contribute technical input to proposals, as well as material and labor cost estimates in support of winning tactical business opportunities and proposals.
- Provide support for new and legacy products by investigating and resolving issues using tools such as Oscilloscope, Analyzers, DMM, etc.
- Work with other departments as appropriate to lead vendor or engineering outsource selection decisions based on uniform technical performance, risk and cost tradeoffs.
- Take the initiative to research, develop, propose, evaluate and/or implement new methods, processes, techniques, tools, components, or technology that improve quality, timeliness and/or performance of DDC’s products or the efficiency or cost effectiveness of DDC’s engineering work.
- Conduct in-depth technical interviews and make assessments and recommendations that support the hiring of capable and talented technical staff in Engineering
Power Device Corporation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.