About the job
Remote Geophysical Engineer
Position: Remote Geophysical Engineer
Qualification: Degree in Geoscience or Geophysics.
Location: Remote in Ireland or the UK. Occasional travel to site or the XOCEAN Technical Centre
XOCEAN is an ocean data company – we collect data for clients ranging from mapping the seabed to monitoring the environment. However, we do this differently, instead of using conventional crewed survey ships, we have developed a marine robotic system known as an Uncrewed Surface Vessel (USV).
Responsible for the online system set-up of geophysical sensors (SSS, Magnetometer, SBP), geophysical data collection, data QC & technical support across multiple USVs.
Responsibilities will include:
- Data Quality Control – Monitoring of the SSS/SBP/Magnetometer data being captured using online survey tools across multiple USV’s.
- Survey System Setup – Remotely and in-person travel to Ireland to assist in hardware & software configuration during USV commissioning, mobilisation, calibration and technical troubleshooting of issues seen with the hardware
- Liaise with software and hardware developers to continually improve the R&D of our acquisition systems
- Geophysical asset management to include maintenance plans and tracking
- Remote data acquisition and online QC of towed Side-scan Sonar, Magnetometer & shallow Sub-bottom Sensor data.
- Assessment of survey results and adjustment of any geophysical aspects of the survey acquisition as required.
- Technical report writing and client interaction.
On occasion this role may involve:
- Managing and maintaining Quality, Environment and Health and Safety standards.
- Implementing, maintaining, managing, and updating all standard operating procedures and processes appropriate to the role.
- Online surveying on projects in shifts. Support with Bathymetry data acquisition.
- Side scan sonar data processing including seabed picking, interpretation, production of mosaic and seabed features.
- Shallow 2D Seismic processing and interpretation.
Requirements: Essential Skills / Attributes and Experience
- Degree in Geoscience or Geophysics.
- Active acquisition experience of MBES, Side-scan Sonar, Magnetometer & Shallow sub-bottom Sensors.
- In-depth knowledge of survey IT and networking and survey calibrations
- 3 years Marine Survey Experience.
- Strong computer literacy (Configuration of sensor equipment required).
- Enthusiastic, positive and proactive nature with a keen attention to detail.
- Applicants must demonstrate how they meet the essential criteria. Desirable criteria may be used for further shortlisting.
- We thank all candidates for their interest, however due to very high volumes, only those who are selected for further consideration, will be contacted directly.
- To be eligible for this position you must have a valid working visa / permit to work in Ireland or the UK.
- Closing date for applications is 23 November 2023.
- Please apply online and follow the instructions, or submit your CV to email@example.com.