Opportunities Within the Mechanical Design Engineer Team - Portsmouth
QinetiQ is developing at an incredible pace year on year and we’re not slowing down. This is an exciting phase in our history. We are constantly on the lookout for talented individuals to join our Mechanical Design Engineering functions in our historic Haslar site.
Our work is innovative, varied, often unique, exciting and critical. We work closely with the most advanced the Royal Navy and other defence organisations.
If your skills fit one of our opportunities, we’ll be in contact. If we don’t have a role that’s right for you at the moment, we’ll be happy to keep your CV on file for possible opportunities in the future.
What are some of the Mechanical Design Engineer opportunities?
We are growing in several areas – including in the Maritime work, & are generally taking on larger & more complex Design & Manufacturing work across a number of domains & would love to hear from you if you are passionate about any of opportunities below we would love to hear from you.
What do our Mechanical Design Engineer teams do?
Opportunity to join the Maritime Teams, who develop & test future technology & equipment predominantly for the UK MoD Navy using our world-renowned facilities. These have been developing since 1872 and have helped develop and test the Navy’s fleet of vessels that we see in service today.
What do the Team do?
We support numerous Domains, such as Aircraft Modification and Ship design. Each Team will have unique engineering specialities & focusses.
Mid-career Mechanical Design Engineer opportunities.
Perhaps you have worked with exotic materials, close tolerances, dual curvature surfacing and design for extremely challenging environments. Do you take a 1st principles approaches to solutions? Do you have the ability to carry out initial hand calculations, comfortable working in bespoke 1-off / short run projects to close tolerances? Perhaps you have a background in designing for saltwater environments for renewable energy, underwater structures & components & mechanisms.
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer opportunities
Do you have the experience of leading projects, navigating the full lifecycle of design & steering others through complex design tasks? Perhaps you have worked with highly stressed joints, structurally driven design solutions such as aerospace; and lead design for wing roots or engine components - or perhaps nuclear engineering where accuracy, strength, performance & reliability are key.
Materials Specialists (composites)
Individuals with Design for Manufacture knowledge – ideally from a composites / complex mechanisms background; maybe you’ve designed / overseen the design & creation of Jet Turbines, renewable energy / wind turbines or perhaps been heavily involved in Design for maritime environments.
Our offering to you
- You’ll be joining a diverse and inclusive employer whose people are at the heart of our business. Our development pathways for our employees provides hugely diverse opportunities in terms of role, specialisation or location.
- You’ll share our values of Performance, Collaboration and integrity and our purpose to protect the safety, security, values and interest of our nation.
- You’ll also be part of a business that was named the Most Admired Aerospace & Defence Company in the Britain’s Most Admired Companies 2021 study.
- QinetiQ offers varied, rewarding and interesting careers across a range of locations in the UK and overseas.
- We have a highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what’s happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, adaptive and flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
- We explore multiple domains of application - Air, Space, Land and Maritime throughout the life cycle - from concept through development and operation to disposal.
- We have practitioners at all levels up to and including internationally recognised individuals. Our blended approach to learning means you’ll have access to formal training, mentoring, and assisted self-development and on the job training.
- Excel, and your potential will be spotted. Our continuing professional development covers all career stages and levels of seniority.
- With our Adaptive approach, you can work the way you want – flexibly, on-site, remotely or via hybrid working.
Why we’re different
Our people. Our employees make the critical difference to customers by providing unique answers which combine technical expertise, deep domain knowledge and rigorous independent thinking.
Our independence. QinetiQ is not a manufacturer, and we stand apart from the supply chain. It’s our rigorous independent thinking that helps our customers achieve their goals.
Our breadth of capability. Our customers face challenges that define the modern world. They know we are uniquely placed to understand these issues and work with them to ensure the success of their mission or reach their objectives.
Our relationships with customers. Our prized possession is trust. Customers around the world rely on the drive and dedication of our people to help them meet their goals – often in environments where there is no second chance for failure.
Our partnerships. We use partnerships and alliances to accelerate compelling business development strategies and sustainable earnings growth. By licensing our intellectual property we reduce implementation and sales risk, and speed up time-to-market by using third party sales channels.
Please note that all applicants must be eligible for SC clearance as a minimum.
Please be aware that many roles within QinetiQ will be subject to both security and export control restrictions so candidate should be prepared to go through the Government Vetting process. For further information, please review: United Kingdom Security Vetting - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)’